Tuesday 29 January 2013

Alas poor jessops

Well Jessops has gone to that great high street in the sky to join Woolworths, ottakers, Virgin, Borders and Somerfields.

Now I'll admit I have been buying my last few major additions to my kit from online, but it was nice to have a shop on the high street where you could pop into, to get any little odd's and ends like filters or a new cleaning cloth.


And lets not forget getting your photos printed as well. I know actually printing photos instead of just putting them on facebook. How old school 


Then of course there's always that "play before you buy factor" which you just can't get online. Now with the big stuff like lenses it doesn't really matter that much as lets face it, if you want a macro lens you'll buy a macro lens.


I was more thinking about the stuff like camera bags. However can you know before hand if you're going to like a camera bag? It might look great on the website but feel the most uncomfortable thing ever where you put it on.


Although last time I went in jessops store and I was trying to look at bags no staff member approached me at all to ask if I needed any help. Okay, technically I didn't so I would have just politely declined but that's not my point.


Plus it seemed strange to me that after Christmas they had lots of offers on full camera's but nothing on lens. I really wanted to go to one of them " Hello?? People will have got camera's for Christmas and will wanting new lens? Where are the offers on them??"


Still what's done is done as they always say. There is now no major camera shop on the high street. 


So I guess I'll have to buy online from now on.


But as a added ironic postscript to the above blog post, I was just reading a new edition of  one of the photography magazines I read and they had just rated jessops as producing the best photobooks around.


C'est la vie I guess. C'est la vie 





No comments:

Post a Comment