Tuesday 29 January 2013

Snow Day

My Dog Owen loves his walks but there is only one thing he loves more then a good walk ( or running around like a lunatic in his case) And that is a walk in the snow. Seriously when it snows he would be more then happy to spend all day out in the stuff. Forgetting mind you that no everyone has the benefit of thick layers of Fur and "four wheel drive".
Now with the speed he charges around at I already knew that I was going to be spending most of my time in TV mode. The trick however was finding the right speed to freeze the action because the way his fur can react is somewhat unpredictable.

I was also using it as a good opportunity to test out my new L series 70-200mm lense which had unfortunately not seen much daylight since I had purchased it.


Now when using camera lenses a good rule of thumb to prevent camera shake is making sure your shutter speed is no lower then the length of your lense. So I knew I was going to be starting around 1/250. 

However after some trial and error I eventually found that 1/1000 was the best speed. 

 Now I was also concious that I would need to dial in some exposure compensation to try and get the whites looking "white".


However the problem with Owen ( and I'm sure my Dad could tell you he has may more as well :-) Is that he has a lot of black fur, a black nose and black eyes. So in order for that detail to come out I had to use a lot of fill light in the processing stage.

So the snow has coming out quite as white as it could have done. But as it brings out more of the detail in owen's fur and allows you to see his face clearly, bringing a lot more punch to the pictures I think it/s a more then acceptable trade off.

No comments:

Post a Comment